Pre-filling Data on Transactions in QuickBooks
QuickBooks has an option to Automatically Remember Account Or Transaction Information, which tells QuickBooks to pre-fill data on transactions (bills, checks, invoices, and sales receipts). You must choose one of the methods available for pre-filling transaction data if you decide to use this option. The first option, Automatically Recall Last Transaction For This Name, means that QuickBooks will present the last transaction for any name (for instance, a vendor) with all the fields filled with the data from that last transaction. Most of the time, you merely have to change the amount. All the other information (such as the posting accounts, and the text in a memo field) can often be retained for the current transaction. If you choose Pre-Fill Accounts For Vendor Based On Past Entries, for vendor transactions only, QuickBooks tracks the accounts you use for each vendor over time and when a pattern emerges the accounts are pre-filled in the transaction window. To use this option:
- Choose Edit | Preferences from the QuickBooks menu bar.
- Click the General icon on the left pane and then click the My Preferences tab.
- In the Automatically Recall Information box select the Automatically Remember Account Or Transaction Information by clicking the check box.
- Select either the Using Automatically Recall Last Transaction For This Name option or the choose Pre-fill Accounts For Vendor Based On Past Entries by choosing the appropriate check box.
- Click OK to save your settings.