Options for Processing Inventory Transactions in QuickBooks
The Purchase Orders and Inventory options in QuickBooks are used to enable the inventory function and adjust settings for processing inventory transactions. First you must tell QuickBooks that you want to enable the inventory feature; purchase orders are automatically enabled with that action. Then, you can choose to have QuickBooks warn you if you attempt to issue a purchase order with a PO number that already exists. The third option in this section, when enabled, issues a warning about a lack of inventory, which is useful during customer invoicing. If you sell ten widgets but your stock of widgets is fewer than ten, QuickBooks displays a message telling you there’s insufficient stock to fill the order. You can still complete your invoice, but this lets you know to order more widgets immediately. To enable these options:
- Choose Edit | Preferences from the QuickBooks menu bar.
- Click the Items & Inventory icon on the left pane and then click the Company Preferences tab.
- Choose the Inventory And Purchase Orders Are Active option by clicking the check box.
- To enable the Warn About Duplicate Purchase Order Numbers and/or the Warn If Not Enough Inventory Quantity On Hand (QOH) To Sell option, click he appropriate check boxes.
- Click OK to save these settings.