Partial Billing in QuickBooks
In QuickBooks, progress invoices are connected to estimates; you start by creating an estimate for the job, and then as you complete each phase of the job you move items from your estimate to a progress invoice (a partial billing). Using progress invoicing in QuickBooks allows you to invoice your customers in stages, as each invoicing plateau arrives, rather than all at once at the end of the job. You can create an invoice for part of the estimate, and you can show how much of the estimate you have already billed to the customer. In QuickBooks, when you use estimates to create progress invoices, you can track your estimated costs and compare them to your actual costs. In order to do progress invoicing you must create estimates, as the progress invoices are based on the estimates. To enable progress invoicing in QuickBooks:
- Choose Edit | Preferences from the QuickBooks menu bar.
- Click the Jobs & Estimates icon on the left pane and then click the Company Preferences tab.
- Be sure that the Do You Create Estimates box has the Yes box checked.
- Choose Yes in the Do You Do Progress Invoicing box, and decide whether or not you want zero amount items printed by checking the Don’t Print Items That Have Zero Amount box, or not.
- Click OK to save these options.