Selecting Payroll Checks and Payroll Liabilities Accounts in QuickBooks
If you do payroll in-house, you must tell QuickBooks which bank account to use for payroll checks and which bank account to use for remitting payroll liabilities. To set the QuickBooks default accounts to use for these payroll tasks:
- Choose Edit | Preferences from the QuickBooks menu bar.
- Click the Checking icon on the left pane to open the QuickBooks Checking preferences, and click the Company Preferences tab.
- In the Select Default Accounts To Use section, click the Open The Create Paychecks checkbox.
- Choose which bank account to set for payroll checks by using the drop-down list.
- Next, click the Open The Pay Payroll Liabilities checkbox, and choose which bank account to set for paying payroll liabilities by using the drop-down list.
- Click OK to save these settings.